Friday 22nd April 2011
Good Friday today
I went over with Edd on Monday (18th) to drop his van off for windows and floor fitting. It should have been ready on Tuesday, then Wednesday, then Thursday - I have been on alert to take him over to collect it, so I'm kind of hanging on. On Thursday we managed to sort foam supply to be collected from Oldham, and sure enough, on the way back, Edd rang to say his van was ready to collect;we had to rush back home then back out to take Edd over to Batley. There was a traffic jam on way (a selfish driver had managed to turn his caravan over at the top of the M62) so I was running really late and I had Doctors appointment for my three monthly diabetes checkup at 17:00. made it (eventually) only 10 minutes late, and they proceeded to take my blood pressure! That was OK, but the rest of my appointment wasn't... I will have to go on insulin, which is a bad thing.
When I got back in, Carol had done one seat cushion for the van - she really plays down how well she has done and doesn't like to take any credit for a good job well done - I just need to motivate her to finish them all off!!! The results are fantastic, though, and I am really proud of her. It is a bit like some of the students I have, with issues about confidence... I always feel false when I have to overplay the 'It's really good' thing.
The praise issue is one which I often reflect on at work. If you praise too soon or too much, students often think that the work is 'good enough', and stop developing ideas or innovations. Conversely, too little praise reduces motivation. I am curious if there has been any studies into praise versus motivation, as I am sure that it is a factor in teaching and learning. Students often complain that some lecturers give them too much input, and the work ends up being a facsimile of 'what the tutor was thinking'. This is also another issue I have to watch out for in my practice.
Today, Carol asked for help in measuring, marking and cutting out fabric for the seats. She is very organised that way (so much more than I am), and she even has a spreadsheet to work out all the cuts required! It took a lot longer than I expected, then Redy turned up with Edd's foam. We were then waiting for over an hour until Edd was able to come round to collect it which was a waste of a day.
We are planning to take my step-mum out for a cup of tea and biscuits in the van for her birthday tomorrow, so Carol is focused on getting at least the seat cushions finished (still at it now, with two more to go!)
I have just finished the final coat of varnish on the interior woodwork this evening. It is looking good!
No comments:
Post a Comment